La Guelaguetza: Folkloric Dance Festival, Oaxaca
A week of dance, culture, history, music and wonderful food.
July 15th to/incl. July 25th, 2009
Join the Guelaguetza festival in Oaxaca, Mexico with Photographic
Discovery Tours for a week of colour, dance and music. During your 10
day stay in Oaxaca you will see dancers from seven regions of the State
of Oaxaca as they participate in the annual Guelaguetza Dance festival.
The traditions of this festival are centuries old and the performances
are recreations of
the original dance steps and music passed down through the generations.
Capture the magic and colour of Oaxaca in the Colonial
style buildings, the hand-woven fabrics, in the markets and countless
hand-crafted objects made by local artisans. Visit the ruins of centuries
old cities and marvel at the grandeur of natural land formations and amazing
vistas. Learn first hand how the beautiful hand-woven rugs are made and
visit a typical Oaxacan family in their house in a small village.
The visual impact of this city and the festival will motivate
your photographic senses.
Be prepared to overload your senses as you capture unique
images during this workshop.
The objective of Photographic Discovery Tours is in its
We strive to enhance your passion for photography as we discover, together,
this culturally and geographically unique location.
- An instructor is present on each activity to help you improve your
technical skills and your visual awareness.
- Each PDT instructor is a fully qualified professional photographer
with many years of teaching and photographic experience.
- Workshop groups are small to ensure quality attention to each participant.
- Regular sessions are scheduled to review and discuss each participant’s
images providing valuable feedback to improve technical and compositional
- All levels of experience are accepted from amateur to professional.
- Each participant must provide: a digital SLR camera (not point and
shoot); a laptop computer or other image capture device; a tripod; image
capture memory cards.
- Each participant should possess a good working knowledge of their
equipment. We suggest you take a basic photography course before you
join our workshop/tour.
- Be prepared to walk reasonable distances each day, climb stairs,
uneven surfaces at ruin sites and moderate hills.
- In order to capture the optimum light you may expect to start an
activity before sunrise.
- Special dietary or medical needs are the responsibility of the individual
- Excellent doctors and medical services are available if required
at your expense.
Oaxaca and experience the colours, sounds and
sights is indeed a celebration for your senses.
Tour Registration and Policy
- Tour fee is $2650.00CAD plus GST. - Airfare is additional.
- Single supplement is: $350 + GST
- Spouse/partner supplement is: $1650 + GST
- A deposit of $950 CAD must accompany your registration.
(includes nonrefundable registration fee of $100)
- Limited to 10 persons per tour.
- Payment in full is due 60 days prior to the start of a tour.
- Spouses/partners are included in activities but will not receive instruction.
- A minimum number of participants is required for a workshop to run.
- 11 nights accommodation - double occupancy with bathroom.
- The workshop/tour starts Day 1 at 5pm and ends at midnight on Day
- Early morning snacks or breakfast
- Transfers to and from Oaxaca city airport.
- Local land transportation to excursion locations.
- Entrance to museums, galleries and historic sites.
- An introduction and information session prior to the tour.
- Observation and image evaluation sessions in a group setting.
- One or two professional photographers present on each activity
- Guide and translation services
- One year subscription to PHOTOLIFE magazine www.photolife.com
- Airfare to and from Oaxaca City, Oaxaca Mexico
- Transportaton to and from your home airport.
- Baggage, equipment, medical and trip cancellation insurance.
- Meals, drinks, tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses.
Visit the Oaxacan coast the week following the tour. Travel with one of
our guides to the Oaxacan coast to photograph, swim and relax. Ask for
Take a Spanish language course with one of the many fine language schools
in the Historic Center of Oaxaca. Ask for more details.
- Participant should have a working knowledge of their equipment and
good basic knowledge of photographic techniques.
- We suggest that you take a basic photography course before you join
- Oaxaca is 1600m above sea level and you may experience shortness of
- Most activities will require a moderate level of physical fitness.
It will be necessary to walk reasonable distances each day, climb stairs,
moderate hills and some ancient ruins.
- Participants are responsible for their own medical and dietary needs
whilst on this tour.
- Excellent doctors are available should the need arise.
forward to sharing our vision of this most magnificent area."
Withdrawal and Refund policy
- Withdrawals more than 60 days before the start date of the workshop/tour
will receive a full refund less $100 CAD administration fee
- Withdrawals 60 days or less before the start date of the workshop/tour
will result in no refund.
- Withdrawal due medical circumstances will be considered on an individual